Elegant windows and doors by specialist manufacturer Mumford & Wood have been specified in the renovation of a country Hall built in the mid 1600’s. Located in a rural village in Nottinghamshire, the property sits within the historic Sherwood Forest.
Grade II listed and within a conservation area, bespoke single glazed window replacements from the Mumford & Wood Conservation™ historic box sash range have been installed throughout the three-storey home. Made from the very highest grade engineered timber they are designed to replicate original period windows in replacement projects, down to the very finest detail. The extensive restoration work has been carried out by award-winning principal contractor, Palmers of Oakham, Rutland. Palmers have the enviable reputation of using traditional skills and materials to achieve English Heritage standards in renovation, conversion and construction projects throughout the region.
Manufactured as single glazed frames, with hand-faced external putty, just as the originals would have been, the replacement windows and doors feature 4mm float glass or a choice of heritage-style glass to lend a more authentic, uneven finish. Each window is bespoke in size and pattern, with a profile choice of Georgian, Gothic, Victorian or Queen Anne ovolo to provide the perfect match. Conservation™ historic box sash windows are the natural choice for listed buildings where there is no requirement to meet current Building Regulations’. These windows operate using pre-stretched nylon cords, brass pulleys and weights, and traditional catches and pull handles.
In the Hall the central doorway has a traditional glazing bar entrance door from the Conservation™ range, with decorative fan light over. Wedge lintels and keystones have been retained and ashlar effect render has been machine-applied to the exterior walls. Together with extensive internal refurbishment, the property has been returned to its former glory, occupying an idyllic setting just minutes from the village centre.
Originally a small country farmhouse, the Hall has been extended several times in its history, the first of which included the addition of a new front façade in the late 1700’s, reported to be in order to upgrade the social standing of the current owner. Changing hands many times the property, flanked by a coach-house, walled gardens, paddocks and stables which once were the home of thoroughbred race horses, and numerous detached buildings, has returned to a loving family after remaining empty for some years before the grand renovation commenced.
For retrofit projects double glazed Conservation™ box sash windows are designed to directly fit in place of original box sash windows in older properties, or to create a traditional appearance in new builds. Recent modifications to products in the Conservation™ range include a choice of glazing unit sizes including the new 12mm unit that achieves the original putty glazed appearance of period units; 14 and 24mm units are also available as standard.
Offering an enviable combination of authentic period styling and features, together with the latest in timber window technology Mumford & Wood’s double glazed products offer superb thermal and acoustic performance with low U-values that surpass the requirements of Part L Building Regulations. The distinctive deep moulded internal profiles are available in a choice of ovolo, lamb’s tongue and fine lamb’s tongue profiles and elegant glazing bars achieve traditional sightlines.
Conservation™ products are made to the standards of the British Woodworking Federation’s Timber Window Accreditation Scheme and so achieve an A Window Energy Rating. They are BSI Kitemark and Energy Saving Trust accredited.
Fill in a simple form and a representative will be in touch within 24 hours